Thursday, July 19, 2012

Romance Novels, buttons & ribbons

When I was a teenager, this little shop in my hometown was like a magnet to me. Until today, apart from sewing supplies, it still rents out Romance Novels (which was where my pocket money went to).

It has been more than 20 years and that shopkeeper still remembers me! I obtained her permission to take some photos of the shop.



The shop only has Chinese novels now. It used to rent out English novels such as Mills & Boons and Silhouette. Being a teenager, I was very engrossed in those English romance books and couldn't stop fantasizing about marrying a handsome & charming Mat Salleh.


The shopkeeper told me those who rent the Chinese romance storybooks  (RM1.50 per book) are middle aged "aunties". 



My daughter who loves needlework and sewing bought many ribbons and buttons there. I told her I'll bring her to that shop on each trip back to Muar.

What a wonderful little shop. It has helped to nurture my dreamy soul with its romance books, and inspire my daughter's creativity with its colorful ribbons and buttons.

3 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Yuin Ting, wow! Really great to have a store still around from when you were a teen.
And yes, girls, my sisters too loved these romance novels.
Love the pics......its nostalgia and beautiful memories.
Have fun, best regards.
Lee.

Sunny-Cookie said...

Yes I still remember those Mills & Boons books which were really popular back then. It was banned in school so we had to hide them quick whenever there was a spot check by the prefects!

YuinTing said...

Hi Lee, many girls like romance novels. I remember I once told my mom I wanted to marry an "ang mou" when i grow up. She instantly threw a wet blanket on me by saying "Ang mou can be very romantic, but when he is drunk he will beat you..." So now you know why I ended up marrying a Chinese Man, ha ha!

Hi Sunny-Cookie, apart from reading many English romance books, I also read many Chinese romance books... and I ended up writing 2 romance stories in my school exercise books! Not sure why but my mom never stopped me from reading those types of books.