Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Feeling unsafe...

I live in a gated and guarded community. A few neighbors moved in after robbers broke into their previous houses.

One of them told me,"My silly husband always put his car key next to his bed. When the robber came in but couldn't find the key, that fella had no choice but to break our bedroom door to get the key," That neighbor bought a house in our community a week after that traumatic incident.

A few days ago my hubby's friend called and said he desperately wanted to get a house here. Two armed robbers "visited" him at 7 o'clock in the morning, took lots of his cash but fortunately no life was taken.

I've heard many horror crime stories and can sense that our country is getting unsafe now.

The place I stay is considered safe & surreal where kids can dress up as devil or robber during halloween and go around trick or treating. However, in the real world, the real devil has no costume and you just have to be more alert and careful!

4 comments:

citiding said...

True, it's getting unsafe nowadays, whether inside or outside our house.
We always thought we were better than the Philippines (or Indonesia?), but now?

Sunny-Cookie said...

Crime rate in my area used to be quite high until the residents decided to gate up the place and hire guards. It's still not 100% safe but it's better than nothing.

YuinTing said...

Hi Mr Citiding, I visited Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh city a few years ago and I feel that even Vietnam is safer than here. (My tour guide said the government there imposes stern punishment even for theft)

We're facing an increasingly serious social problem here. We have to get to the root of the problem, and solve it before it turns into an incurable tumor.

Hi Sunny-Cookie, glad to know that the place you stay is safer than before. As my kids are getting older, I get more worried about their safety. Especially my eldest who's already in a secondary school. Sometimes he requested to go out with his friends, it's hard to turn down his request every time. Looks like I'll get a "post-natal" depression soon...ha! ha!

Sunny-Cookie said...

Yes, it's tough knowing when to say 'no' and when to give them a little bit of freedom...I suppose it's a dilemma that all moms face